BE NOT WISE IN THINE OWN EYES. FEAR THE LORD AND DEPART FROM EVIL.
(PROVERBS 3:7)


Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fire in our kitchen


Have you ever had fire in your kitchen? I have. This afternoon I was making food with Isabelle and flames started to rise and cover the pan. It licked the grease on the pan and started flying to the exhaust fan. The flames consumed some portion of it and it's only then that I realized I had to do something to put it off. I turned off the stove and the flames subsided on top of it. But the flames on the exhaust fan got bigger and bigger. I started panicking and lil' Isabelle started to cry and shake. I was looking for a pail or something to fill with water so I could throw water on the exhaust fan. I saw a big bowl and filled it with water and started throwing water on the flames. The fire was extinguished. But I wasn't sure if there was more of it inside the cupboards on top of the fan because the smoke seemed to get heavier inside the house. I opened all the windows and doors and turned on the exhaust fan in the bathroom but the smoke was still getting heavier and the smoke alarm was still beeping loudly. I think that part of the reason why I panicked was the earsplitting beeps from the smoke alarm. I called my husband at work and he called the fire station. One fire truck came after a couple minutes with its loud siren. Isabelle's eyes were big! "Was this?" She asked. I told her that it was a fire truck and the people in there would be helping us make sure there was no more fire in our kitchen. Two firemen came in and checked our kitchen. They said... "You are very lucky that you were not hurt." Nothing much was destroyed by the fire just a lot of cleaning to do and replacement of some parts for the exhaust fan.

Praise God for his protection over me and Isabelle today! I am still fighting against a thought of the worse thing that could happen to me and lil Izzy if I wasn't able to put off the flames. Reminds me of Shadrack, Meshach and Abednego. It's one of my favorite stories in the Bible.
'If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up' (Daniel 3:17-18) This has been one of the most powerful verses that have impacted my life. It is easy to be faithful to God in times when we think and feel that God is near and is changing our seemingly bad circumstances. But how about when we don't see His hands upon things that we really want to change for our comfort? Will we remain faithful to Him? I pray that I and my family and every Christian remain faithful and pledge our allegiance to the Lord Jesus whether or not He changes our circumstances.

No comments: